The pace of change in information technology can be dizzying at times. New technologies are quickly developed and yesterday’s standards are no longer acceptable. For businesses today, simply keeping up with the latest IT developments can be a chore all on its own. And keeping your mission-critical business applications up-to-speed can feel like an impossible task. But the fact remains, if you are not modernizing your IT systems and applications, you are at risk of falling further behind, which can cripple the long-term viability of your business. So, how can businesses keep their systems up-to-date with modern IT standards?
Modernizing Mission-Critical Business Applications: 6 Questions to Ask
Through our experience helping companies such as Mutual Drug and one of Baltimore’s leading news outlets, we’ve developed a solid process for helping companies evaluate the health of their mission-critical business applications and executing a strategy to bring them up to modern IT standards. And along the way, we’ve identified a few key questions that businesses should consider when taking a look at their IT systems and applications.
These questions include topics such as:
- How old is your mission-critical business application? Old age for IT applications is not a good thing. And each year that passes potentially brings you one step closer to disaster.
- Who built this application and was it made specifically for your business? Your business has unique concerns that need to be addressed. Off-the-shelf applications are a risk. But so are custom-built applications if they haven’t kept up with changes in the IT landscape.
- How well is your application performing in your current environment? Do you regularly experience downtime with your applications? Is it slow to respond? Modern businesses demand applications that can keep pace.
- Was your application designed with the cloud in mind? Everyone is talking about the cloud these days. Data storage, application operation and maintenance are just a few of the concerns. Is your application ready to function in the cloud?
- How secure is your application? Your business applications contain data. Lots of important data. And if that data were to get in the wrong hands, it could be disastrous. Are you making sure your applications are locked down tight?
- Should existing applications be remodeled or rebuilt? There are many factors to consider, including cost, time and resources. The right IT partner can help you navigate this question so you can come out on the other side in a much stronger position.
As you can see, modernizing mission-critical business applications is something you do not want to take lightly. That’s why we created the “Guide to Modernizing Mission-Critical Business Applications.” This guide explores in more detail the six questions noted above and provides you with a framework for approaching the evaluation of your company’s mission-critical IT systems.
Need Help with Your Mission-Critical Business Applications?
For about 20 years, Atlantic BT has helped companies with IT needs ranging from software development to hosting to cybersecurity. Our team has the experience to help you explore and solve your toughest digital problems. Want to talk with an IT expert? Contact us today and we’ll match you up with a member of our team that can help you create a plan to bring your mission-critical business applications up to modern IT standards.