About 65% of searches have a local intent. So how do you show up in search results when people are searching locally for what you do?
There are a number of things you can do both on-site and off-site to help stimulate more local traffic. Here are some of the basics you can do to get your started.
- Make sure your local address is in the footer of your site (on every page)
- Use local terms wherever possible within your content (ex: San Diego, Hollywood, Wake County)
- Use your local zip code and/or PO Box on the site
- Use the <address></address> element
- Use your local city/state in some page titles
- Make sure your local area code in on your contact us page
- Get a country specific domain (ex: .com for the US)
- Register your website in webmaster tools and set the geo-location
- Gain local inbound links to your site
- Register for local business listings in the major search engines
- Register for other local business listings like Yelp, Local.com and Insider Pages
- Get sponsored on local organization sites (ex: chamber of commerce)
- Use city or state specific anchor text in your links
- Use a local hosting company